- FUTURE STUDENTS
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
- GRADUATE STUDENTS
- FACULTY AND STAFF
• Surface and Airborne Measurements of Aerosol Composition, Size, and Water-Uptake Properties
• Aerosol-Cloud-Precipitation Interactions
• Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Interactions
• Cloud Water and Precipitation Chemistry
• Satellite Data Analysis
• B.S., Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of Arizona, 2003
• M.S., Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 2005
• Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 2008
We study the role of aerosol particles and clouds in the Earth system. The major effects that our research aims to address include air quality, climate, the hydrologic cycle, biogeochemical cycling of nutrients, and public health. Currently, the three major foci of this group’s research include the following:
• Aerosol properties in the atmosphere: Surface, airborne, and satellite observations are used to study the physical and chemical properties of aerosol particles. A major objective of this research thrust is to understand the sources, transformation mechanisms, and fate of aerosol particles in the atmosphere. Furthermore, we strive to improve understanding of health- and climate-relevant aerosol properties and how they change spatially and temporally.
• Aerosol-cloud-precipitation-radiation interactions: We use a combination of field measurements, satellite data, and modeling to improve knowledge of how aerosol and meteorological perturbations alter cloud properties, precipitation, and the transmission of solar radiation.
• Instrument development: New instruments are developed and characterized with the goal of making improved aerosol and cloud measurements at a time resolution appropriate for airborne sampling.
• Invitee: 2013 National Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Engineering Education Symposium (Irvine, CA; 2013)
• Invitee: National Academy of Science’s US-Iran Symposium on Air Pollution in Megacities (Irvine, CA; 2013)
• Recognition for Reviewing Excellence for Atmospheric Environment (2012-2013)
• Editors’ Citation for Excellence in Refereeing for Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres (2012)
• College of Engineering Education Faculty Fellow (2012-2014)
• Invitee and Co-Chair: National Academy of Engineering’s 2012 U.S. Frontiers of Engineering Symposium (Warren, Michigan; 2012)
• Invitee: National Academy of Engineering’s 2011 U.S. Frontiers of Engineering Symposium (Mountain View, California; 2011)
• Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Program Award (2010)
• ACCESS invitee (Atmospheric Chemistry Colloquium for Emerging Senior Scientists; 2009)
• American Meteorological Society Public Policy Colloquium Fellow (2008)
• Outstanding Senior - College of Engineering and Mines (University of Arizona, 2003)
Russell, L. M., A. Sorooshian, J. H. Seinfeld, B. A. Albrecht, A., Nenes, L. Ahlm, Y. –C., Chen, M. M. Coggon, J. S. Craven, R. C. Flagan, A. A. Frossard, H. Jonsson, E. Jung, J. J. Lin, A. R. Metcalf, R. Modini, J. Mulmenstadt, G. C. Roberts, T. Shingler, S. Song, Z. Wang, and A. Wonaschutz (2013). Eastern Pacific Emitted Aerosol Cloud Experiment (E-PEACE), Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc., in press.
Hersey, S. P., J. S. Craven, A. R. Metcalf, J. Lin, T. Lathem, K. J. Suski, J. F. Cahill, H. T. Duong, A. Sorooshian, H. H. Jonsson , M. Shiraiwa, A. Zuend, A. Nenes, K. A. Prather, R. C. Flagan , J. H. Seinfeld (2013). Composition and Hygroscopicity of the Los Angeles Aerosol: CalNex, J. Geophys. Res., in press.
Wonaschuetz, A., A. Sorooshian, B. Ervens, P. Y. Chuang, G. Feingold, S. M. Murphy, J. de Gouw, C. Warneke, H. H. Jonsson (2012). Aerosol and gas re-distribution by shallow cumulus clouds: an investigation using airborne measurements, J. Geophys. Res., 117, D17202, doi:10.1029/2012JD018089.
Sorooshian, A., J. Csavina, T. Shingler, S. Dey, F. Brechtel, E. Sáez, and E. A. Betterton (2012). Hygroscopic and chemical properties of aerosols collected near a copper smelter: Implications for public and environmental health, Environ. Sci. Technol., 46, 9473-9480.
Chen, Y.-C., M. W. Christensen, L. Xue, A. Sorooshian, G. L. Stephens, R. M. Rasmussen, and J. H. Seinfeld (2012), Occurrence of lower cloud albedo in ship tracks, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12, 8223–8235.
D. G. Partridge, J. A. Vrugt, P. Tunved, A. M. L. Ekman, H. Struthers, and A. Sorooshian (2011). Inverse modeling of cloud-aerosol interactions – Part 2: Sensitivity tests on liquid phase clouds using a Markov Chain Monte Carlo based simulation approach, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12, 2823–2847.
Shingler, T., S. Dey, A. Sorooshian, F. J. Brechtel, Z. Wang, A. Metcalf, M. Coggon, J. Mülmenstädt, L. M. Russell, H. H. Jonsson, and J. H. Seinfeld (2012). Characterisation and airborne deployment of a new counterflow virtual impactor inlet, Atmos. Meas. Tech., 5, 1259–1269.